Monday, November 22, 2010

Supporting The Walk

Back to Wilshire

Every year for the past five years, my husband Mike does a walk in Los Angeles. He intended to walk the length of Wilshire Blvd. back in 2006 to commemorate living his ten years of living here. As a lark, he posted it on the blog asking people to join him if they wanted. To our surprise, people expressed interest and there were about fifty to sixty who joined in.

Five years ago, I had an 11-month-old who had just started to walk himself so I stayed back. I knew it would be hard to keep up with everyone and Mike couldn't help me since he was leading the group. We later joined everyone at Border Grill and had a fun time meeting the walkers.

Ever since then, this has always been my perspective during the walk:
my view

As supporter, I'm usually in the "pace car" with a child or two in tow. Here's my recollection of other walks from past years:

Pico, 2007: We dropped Mike off at the Coca Cola Bottling Plant on Pico and Central that morning. Turns out, I needed to have an emergency Doctor's appointment so off the the doctor Evan and I went after the drop off. I later picked up Mike at the restaurant and talked to a few of the walkers hanging out.

Santa Monica Blvd., 2008: The meeting place was at Union Square and our cool friend Eric Lynxwiler sent everyone off. I had an almost-three year old in tow and walked with everyone in the beginning. I tried to keep up and reached the edges of Silver Lake up to Vermont where Evan and I took the Metro back to Union Station and picked up the car. We followed along in the car a bit and later picked up Mike and our friend Andrea in Santa Monica. We all ended up having dinner in Atwater Village with excited talks about next year.

Adams/Washington Blvd. 2009: My youngest Nathan was just born so I was truly the pace car with the little one on this walk. Evan wanted to join in and was mostly pushed in the stroller by Mike. After lunch, Evan joined me and Nathan as we slowly made our way west. Not without drama, our car stalled on Washington and Triple A did a quick rescue.

Back to Wilshire, 2010: This year was tough because it was also Evan's last soccer game and end-of-league after party. So off to Pershing Square we went to send Mike off. The rain kept a lot of people from walking but there was a healthy 100+ crowd gathered not letting a little rain get in the way. We drove alongside a bit leaving around lunch time to get to Evan's soccer party (the rain canceled out the game). We later met up with Mike at the Border Grill for dinner.

Maybe if we're still doing this five years from now I can truly join in on the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment